top of page

Overseas Student Health Cover


Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You will need to purchase OSHC before you come to Australia to cover you from when you arrive. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship requires you to maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.


You might find that your institution has an agreement with a specific OSHC provider. You can choose to take out OSHC with this provider, or with the Australian OSHC provider of your choice. There are six providers of OSHC in Australia. Visit these websites to find detailed information on what they cover and to decide which provider is right for you.


Health Insurer  & Insurers website

AHM OSHC                                                  

Allianz Global Assistance (Peoplecare Health). 

BUPA Australia                                             

CBHS International Health                          

Medibank Private                                         

NIB OSHC                                                     

Your OSHC will help you pay for any medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia, and it will contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines, and an ambulance in an emergency.


For more information on what your OSHC insurance covers, refer to the Department of Health and Ageing’s (DOHA) Frequently Asked Questions.


OSHC does not cover dental, optical or physiotherapy. If you want to be covered for these treatments you will need to buy additional private health insurance, such as:

  • Extra OSHC provided by some OSHC providers;

  • International travel insurance; or

  • General treatment cover with any Australian private health insurer. You can find a list of these providers and search for the one that suits you best at or





OSHC provides a safety net for international students similar to that provided to Australian citizens through Medicare, Australia’s National Health Insurance System.

When visiting a doctor in Victoria, you will need to check if the medical clinic has an agreement with your Overseas Student Health Care Cover. If they do have an agreement, your payment will be considerably less.  If you need any more information regarding OSHC, please do not hesitate to ask one of our Student Support Officers.





Monash Health Service – Caulfield
Level 1, Building B, Sir John Monash Drive
Caulfield, VIC 3145
03 9903 1177

Monash Health Service – Clayton
Building 10, Clayton Campus, Wellington Rd
Clayton, VIC 3800
03 9905 5453

William Angliss – Health Service
555 LaTrobe Street
Melbourne, VIC 3000
(03) 9606 2208

Kilmore Medical Centre
36 – 38 Melbourne St
Kilmore, VIC 3764
03 5783 0555

QV Medical One Work23 QV Terrace, 292 Swanston St Melbourne

Tel: 03 8663 7000

Boroondara Community Health Service
378 Burwood Rd
Hawthorn, VIC 3122
03 9818 6703

City Baths Medical
420 Swanston St Melbourne
03 9662 4644

Medical One
23 QV Terrace, 292 Swanston St
Melbourne, VIC 3000
(03) 9686 9229

Mediscreen Medical Centre
799 Toorak Rd Hawthorn
03 9822 3105

Swanston Street Medical Centre393 Swanston St Melbourne03 9662 3322

Alphacare Medical Centre
50 Stud Rd
Dandenong, VIC 3175
03 9792 9899

bottom of page